Before and after independence in 1960, Nigeria was a federation of three Regions: Northern, Western, and Eastern. Provinces were also used in colonial times. In 1963, two provinces were detached from the Western Region to form the new Mid-Western Region. In 1967, the regions were replaced by 12 states due to a military decree; only the former Mid-Western Region escaped division, and formed a single state following the restructuring. From 1967 to 1970 the areas of Mid-Western State and the Eastern Region attempted to secede, as Biafra. In 1976, seven new states were created, making 19 altogether; the Federal Capital Territory (now called Abuja) was formally established in 1991. In 1987 two new states were established, followed by another nine in 1991, bringing the total to 30. The latest change, in 1996, resulted in the present number of 36 states.
Current States and FCT
Federal Capital Territory: Abuja
Former state boundaries
During this period, there were 30 states and Abuja, the Federal Capital Territory.
During this period, there were 21 states and,
During this period, there were 19 states.
During this period, there were 12 states.
During this period, there were 4 regions.
During this period, there were 3 regions.
|Ebonyi (also includes part of old Abia)|
|Kogi (also includes part of old Benue)|
Page Module:Portal/styles.css has no content.
- "USAID Nigeria mission: Nigeria administrative divisions" United States Agency for International Development, October 2004, last accessed 21 April 2010
- Kraxberger, Brennan (2005) "Strangers, Indigenes and Settlers: Contested Geographies of Citizenship in Nigeria" Space and Polity 9(1): pp. 9-27, pages 10, 11, & 15
- Ajayi, Gboyega (2007) The military and the Nigerian state, 1966-1993: a study of the strategies of political power control Africa World Press, Trenton New Jersey, ISBN 1-59221-568-8
- Benjamin, Solomon Akhere (1999) The 1996 state and local government reorganizations in Nigeria Nigerian Institute of Social and Economic Research, Ibadan, Nigeria, ISBN 978-181-238-9
- Suberu, Rotimi T. (1994) 1991 state and local government reorganizations in Nigeria Institute of African Studies, University of Ibadan, Ibadan, Nigeria, ISBN 978-2015-28-8
- States of Nigeria at statoids.com
ar:ولايات نيجيريا bg:Административно деление на Нигерия de:Bundesstaaten Nigerias es:Organización territorial de Nigeria fr:Subdivisions du Nigéria ko:나이지리아의 행정 구역 ig:Nkeji no n'ime Naigeria it:Stati della Nigeria he:מדינות ניגריה mrj:Нигерин штатвлӓжӹ lt:Nigerijos valstijos nl:Bestuurlijke indeling van Nigeria ja:ナイジェリアの州 no:Nigerias delstater pl:Podział administracyjny Nigerii pt:Estados da Nigéria ru:Административное деление Нигерии fi:Nigerian osavaltiot sv:Nigerias delstater tr:Nijerya'nın eyaletleri uk:Адміністративний поділ Нігерії yo:Àwọn Ìpínlẹ̀ Nàìjíríà zh:尼日利亚行政区划